Re: Console Blanking

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 18:42:05 EST

> > Currently I have solved the problem by brute forcely commenting out the
> > contents of blank_console() and unblank_console() functions in console.c
> > .... But that breaks X (the server ain't running X, so there is no
> > unstability there, but I tested it at my workbench and it hanged the system
> > while switching between X and console) ...

Ouch!! The VT switching code plays with blanking and scrolling. Which X
server and console system (fbcon, vgacon, etc)are you using ?

> I played with the screen blanking code when I was messing with my
> secondary monitor, an IBM MDA. One concern I have is that the console code is
> all changing, currently screen blanking does not support multihead, only the
> current screen is blanked; should this change be part of the new console code,
> or should it be done as a patch against the current kernel?

I'm one of the ones working on the new console system. Real multihead, meaning
the console system supports mulitple displays and multiple keyboards, needed a
big code rewrite of the console system so it should hold off to 2.5.X. Have
you come up with a solution by the way for multihead blanking. I haven't :(
Ideas anyone?

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=