Re: strange messages from the kernel: VM: do_try...

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 16:52:25 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 narancs1@externet.hu wrote:
>
> >Dear Developers/Programmers!
> >
> >I get these messages on the root console:
> >
> >VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd...
> >VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for syslog-ng...
> >VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for rxvt...
>
> some mess happened in 2.2.16 memory balancing, just read this code in
> page_alloc.c and enjoy:
>
> /* Do we have to help kswapd or can we proceed? */
> if (nr_free_pages < (freepages.low + freepages.low) / 2) {
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oops, a small braino. One of these should of course be changed into
freepages.min ;)

Not that it matters for the above error messages...
do_try_to_free_pages can fail and there doesn't seem to be any
obviously right way to fix this, so I changed page_alloc.c to
call do_try_to_free_pages *before* the system is in deep shit.

This seems to both improve performance (should be better still
with the above line fixed) and stability.

Of course I'd like to hear a better solution to this problem,
if you happen to know one ...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.