Re: strange messages from the kernel: VM: do_try...

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 10:10:55 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 narancs1@externet.hu wrote:

> I get these messages on the root console:
>
> VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd...
> VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for syslog-ng...
> VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for rxvt...
>
> kernel 2.2.16 with openwall, ide, i2c, hw-sensors, emu10k1 patches

Ahh, these are mainly debugging messages, but they shouldn't really
happen too often. It means that memory pressure was so bad that
do_try_to_free_pages didn't actually succeed in freeing a page ...
not good but pretty much ok if it only happens rarely.

If you are seeing those messages all the time, I'm very interested
in the situation in which you can trigger this (I haven't succeeded
in triggering a lot of these here, but there may be situations where
2.2.16 _does_ fail ... these messages allow me to find out about
them and maybe fix them for 2.2.17).

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.