Re: System V IPC

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 09:51:40 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 Matman@arcormail.de wrote:

> Dear kerneldevelopers!
>
> I have an important question about kernel-2.4.0-test-ac10. In your helptext that i read while doing "make menuconfig" is written, that i have to mount /var/shm to use Sytem V IPC. I shall use the /etc/fstab :
>
> none /var/shm shm defaults 0 0
>
> you write. But there is no /var/shm on my system and i hadnīt find any text in /usr/src/linux/Documentation where i can get this filesystem. Now iīm not sure if System V IPC is working correct. Can you tell me please where i can get the shm filesystem? Or can you affirm that System V IPC is working with the old /proc/sysvipc correct on my system?
>
> Have a nice day!

if you read the Documentation/Changes (of a recent kernel, at least ac17
or later) you will see that it explains that you do NOT need to mount shm
fs anywhere to use System V ipc. You only need it if you want to use POSIX
shm. Besides, the recommended place is /dev/shm (you do have /dev
right?) and not /var/shm but that is a matter of taste and not a standard.

Regards,
Tigran