Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 08:45:12 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > > distributions have different versions of the base software (kernel and/or
> > > libc).
> >
> > The LSB goal is not really any further than
> >
> > o libc symbols are this
> > o ELF format is this
> > o libc structures are these
> > o Binary calling format
> > o Feed a script to this program to add it to init scripts
> > o Basic X11 libraries
>
> except point 5 (scripts) it's very nice :)

        I'm not sure you understand. The idea for #5 is that you do
something like:

        ./onstartrun -l2 myinitscript.sh

        Then this 'onstartrun' thing (which is distribution specific)
handles putting myinitscript.sh wherever it needs to go to be started
during run-level 2 (-l2). Of course, this might not be good enough, but
it's certainly better than the guessing that happens now.
        Personally I think having a standard init scheme would be better,
with defined directories and such, but this is better than nothing.

                Stephen