Re: Kernel Oops under Cyrix 686L 2.2.14 and 2.2.15

From: Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 01:50:17 EST

> Hi
> > (SuperMicro P5STE AT Motherboard, Cyrix 686L Pro200+GP processor) I am
>
> I have had Cyrix chips working for a year or so and then all-of-a-sudden
> they would turn bad (producing sig 11 in kernel compiles, and oopsing in
> random places). I'm not saying that this is your problem.
>
> - If you suspect the kernel to be the problem try downgrading.
> - If you suspect the cpu, try exchaning.
> - Could be bad ram.
> - Clean your cpucooler for dustballs :)
>
> - For the cpu test try
>
> "cd /usr/src/linux"
> and then (in a script)
> while(1)
> make clean bzImage;
>
> and dump output to a file. After an hour or two you can grep for errors
> in the output file. In my experience gcc is an excelent test bench for
> system stability.
>
> (Old) Cyrix chips is great value when they work. Problem is
> that they are rather touchy when it comes to mainboard, ram, and stuff
> like that. Don't know about recent ones..

Also you can try slowing down the CPU. I found slowing down by one speed
grade old Cyrixes appeared to stabalize most problems. Also if you are
using a bus speed > 66 then you should try slowing down to a 66 mhz bus.
Many components did not like > 66 Mhz bus speeds. In addition you can slow
down the RAM a bit. Increase the latacies in the BIOS etc. Usually the
setup default worked best when trying this. Once stabalized you can
incrimentally try speeding up your machine again if you wish so as to trace
down the exact cause of the problem.