Re: Floppy handling

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 21:41:53 EST

    Thats all very nice, but what do you do for the "luser" that opens a file
    on the floppy using a word processor... I see that a LOT at work (plus the
    use of excel/photoshop/exporer/...

When you visit a file with Emacs, Emacs opens the file, reads it all,
and closes it. Once that is finished, the file is not open any more.
When you save the file, Emacs opens it, writes the whole text, then
closes it. So if you removed the floppy after visiting, the save will
get an error, but nothing worse will happen. If you replaced it with
a different floppy, the save will go on the new floppy.

I don't know what other editors do, but ever since memory sizes became
big enough to hold all the data in core, this has been the logical way
to implement those operations.