Re: Question: 16 bit char tables

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 16:55:43 EST

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Where is everyone at now - anyone built a complete combined working patch
> set from the stuff flying around ?

2.2 or 2.4-test?
And do you mean using the 16bit codepages or just with support for them?

GOTO Masanori was going to have a look at actually making vfat (or
something?) use and work with the 16 bit nls. That involves fixing the
2upper/2lower arrays, eg from 2.4.0-test

fs/vfat/namei.c:
static inline unsigned char
vfat_getlower(struct nls_table *t, unsigned char c)
{
        return t->charset2lower[c];
}

chars wider than 8 bytes? nah ...

I think it needs to be a function and not an array (in the nls_table).
Possibly with an interface to handle > 2 byte characters (utf8 as a
codepage? it looked reasonable in my smbfs-nls stuff ... so you want utf8
and not iso8859-1234, ok just another codepage :)

My idea is a similar interface as char2uni:
void char2lower(unsigned char *in, int *in_read,
                unsigned char *out, int *out_written);

The int's tell how may bytes are read/written from/to the buffers.
And the same for 2lower. looks ok?
Haven't checked what vfat uses the 'getlower' to however ...

GOTO any progress?

Andrzej has also worked on this, but his patch for msdosfs has the same
construct as the vfat for upper/lower.

That's all the nls related UFO's I know about ... and maybe some of them
have landed safely somewhere ? :)

/Urban