Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 16:27:53 EST

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> > very good.
> > but there's another side....
> > too many people think linux=redhat or even worse than redhat is "better
> > linux".
> > there are a lot commercial software "for redhat" not "for linux", i even
> > found device drivers supplied as .rpm with kernel modules - of course for
> > redhat.
> >
> > it breaks the freedom of choice and....it could make redhat "another
> > microsoft"
>
> I dont know about where you live.. But here it's linux=mandrake.

Well, I'm fairly agnostic here - I'm running one Red Hat box, one
Mandrake, and the guy round the corner is running Debian and OpenBSD...

IMO, there is one crucial difference preventing this sort of problem, and
Mandrake exemplify it: anyone can take and existing distro and
add/remove/change things to end up with a competitor, without losing
compatibility. Red Hat can never have proprietary control over Linux
because of that.

James.