x86 for linux book recommendation

From: Sheer El-Showk (sheer@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 12:12:08 EST

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good book on x86 archtecture that
would help me understand more of what is going on in the linux kernel (no
part specifically ... I've been looking through annoted kernel code and
find I come across problems while trying to understand the assembly
stuff). I have a fair knowledge of computer architecture (VM and the
like) but from a MIPS perspective (from a class I took at university).

I really hope this message is not viewed as being posted
inappropriately; although its not really about the linux kernel, it is
certainly geared towards helping me understand the kernel. Please repsond
to me personally unless you feel your response would benefit others on
the list.

Thanks, and sorry if this post bothers anyone,
Sheer El-Showk