Re: Running Untrusted Code in a Restricted Process

From: jesse hammons (jhammons@bigteam.org)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 10:35:47 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Brian Gerst wrote:

> jesse hammons wrote:
> >

> > Anyway here is the idea. I added a new task flag PF_RESTRICTED. This bit
> > is set by setting yourself to the PER_RESTRICTED personality like so:
> >
> This can already be done with the current ptrace functionality. Ptrace
> can intercept system calls made by the traced process (strace uses this)
> and can modify or deny them.

Can anyone point me to some ptrace() documentation? I've looked at the
source to strace and several other programs. I can see how to print out
and trace system calls, but I don't see how to change the return value.
The manpage for PTRACE_SYSCALL looks like this:

       PTRACE_SYSCALL, PTRACE_CONT
              Restart after signal.

So assuming I have a process tracing a child process, how to I change the
return value of system calls made in the child process?

Thanks,
-Jesse