sda misreported as hda

From: Ben Ford (ben@kalifornia.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 02:38:58 EST

I have a box (all SCSI except ide-cdrom) that I am trying to install.
Everything goes ok, except lilo thinks the root partition is hda rather
than sda. Consequently, I cannot boot the system, which makes me very
cranky =) During boot, I see odd messages about hda - hdc, which don't
even exist. It says hda - no response, resetting.

This behaviour persists even if I specify "root=/dev/sda1 hda=none,
hdb=none, hdc=none" at boot time.

The only way I can use the box is by building a no-ide kernel, but then
I lose out on the cdrom . . . . .. Certainly I'm not the first guy to
build an all SCSI-but-ide-cdrom box???

The comment below may be of some help.

-b

>From drivers/ide/ide-geometry.c (2.4ac14)

*/
/*
 * I did this, but it doesnt work - there is no reasonable way to find
the
 * correspondence between the BIOS numbering of the disks and the Linux
 * numbering. -aeb
 *
 * The code below is bad. One of the problems is that drives 1 and 2
 * may be SCSI disks (even when IDE disks are present), so that
 * the geometry we read here from BIOS is attributed to the wrong disks.

 * Consequently, also the "drive->present = 1" below is a mistake.
 *
 * Eventually the entire routine below should be removed.
 */