Re: 2.2.16pre5, ST36451A and "hdc: drive not ready for command"

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 02:00:57 EST

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 03:57:45PM +0300, you [Samuli Kaski] said:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Ville Herva wrote:
>
> > This is an oldish Seagate 6GB, so it can't do ATA66. The curious thing is
> > that it doesn't seem to work in PIO mode either. And IDE resets lock the
> > machine up.
>
> I just noticed after using 2.4.0-test1 for the first time and equipping
> the HPT366 controller with a ATA/66 drive, I was also getting similar
> IRQ error messages when the drive on the HPT366 was using DMA. Once I
> compiled the kernel with CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ set to off, these
> errors vanished.

But is the drive that causes the messages on HPT366 or PIIX bus? I have no
problems with the IBM on HPT366 bus, the Seagate on PIIX IDE1 bus however
causes those warnings. Moreover, it causes them in both PIO and DMA mode.

I will try that CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ thing, though, as soon as I
boot.

> My point being: the IRQ-assignements on the BP6 are hardwired (to the
> slot assignement). With many boards you will get overlapping IRQs and
> Linux/some hardware can't handle it (for example, my BP6 refuses to have
> 2 pcnet32 with the same IRQ, with 2 IRQs everything works).

AFAIK it's the same more or less with every board? BP6 with its HPT366
just takes more IRQs.

> I have attached the IRQ assignment of the BP6. I picked it up from the
> ABIT newsgroup a long time ago. I have no idea how accurate it is but I
> was able to get 5 PCI boards to work looking at it.
>
> -- clip --
> pci slot 1 shares witht he agp port
> slot 2 has its own irq
> slot 3 shares with the udma66 controller no matter what
> slot 4 and 5 share an irq with the usb
> -- clip --

Yeah, I know that. I put the geforce on AGP, 3c905 on PCI2 and SB64
(ex1370) on PCI4 (usb disabled on BIOS). But nothing should collide with
IDE1, should it?

-- v --

v@iki.fi