[BUG] Networking hangs with tulip 0.9.6, PNIC rev 17

From: Bryan O'Sullivan (bos@serpentine.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 21:53:31 EST

I have a Linksys 10/100 card which is reported by the tulip drivers on
my system as a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 17 (which resides on my system
at 0xe400). The system it runs on is a P-II with a 440BX chipset,
running RH6.2.

Using Donald Becker's 0.89H driver (old_tulip.c) under 2.2.x, the card
works fine. However, neither the current tulip.c in 2.2.16 nor Jeff
Garzik's newer 0.9.6 driver in 2.4.0-test1-ac15 will work for me. The
symptoms I see are as follows:

- The boot sequence begins, and the card apparently gets probed
  correctly. Quoth the 2.4.0-test1-ac15 kernel:

  Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.6 (May 31, 2000)
  eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 17 at 0xe400, XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, IRQ 9.

- When the eth0 interface is brought up, I hear two clicks from the
  card in quick succession. (With the 0.89H driver, the card clicks
  just once. I assume the click has something to do with the card
  being initialised or shut down.)

- The boot sequence continues happily, and the first program that
  tries to do anything significant with the network (in my case,
  knfsd) freezes to the accompaniment of another clicking noise from
  the card.

At this point, a three-fingered salute gets the machine to shut down
cleanly, but I never see anything in the syslog that indicates what
might be going wrong; there's no oops or anything, just a hung process
and a lack of diagnostics. It makes no difference whether I load the
tulip driver as a module or not.

Jeff, is there any additional information with which I can provide you
that might help you to figure this out, or are there any debugging
options I could turn on that might be of use?

Thanks,

        <b