Re: [BUG] Kernel 2.4.0-test1-ac10 changes open of symlink behavior.

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 16:02:06 EST

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > I dont see the problem. You follow the link. At that point you worry about
> > > creating an object. The race there is a userspace issue.
> >
> > There are kernel races. BTW, you do realize that in our case following
> > link != reading the contents and doing lookup?
>
> Now tell me why it shouldnt in this case ? We need to know the tail item of
> the path and the directory the symlink pointed us at when we followed it. We
> dont need to care if the symlink changes around that moment.

Procfs, for one thing. Try to get that past Linus - I gave up and frankly,
he has some point on it. Yes, we can kludge around that, but that will be
large, ugly and chances to get the thing into the tree will be very slim.
We may be forced to do that, but I definitely want to try to get change
into POSIX before putting that sort of crap into the tree. Especially
since it's still a draft...