Re: Anyone working on a POWER port?

From: Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 08:58:55 EST

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Sarah Nordstrom wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've just had an IBM POWERstation 355 dropped in my lap, which is
> based around a 40MHz POWER processor. I think there's been work on a
> POWER3/4 port, but i'm wondering if anyone's even looked at porting to
> the original IBM POWER architecture? Looking over the GCC docs, it
> looks like it will generate POWER1/2 code, though I haven't tested
> this yet.
>
> Any info on this would be appreciated, even if it's just 'I've looked
> at it and it's not going to be possible without more documentation'

The big challenge is coding support for the various microchannel
peripherals. Many of the IBM-branded adapters are similar to those
marketed for Intel computers, but often have different firmware. API
information is likely to be difficult or impossible to come by.

Support for the older boxen has been discussed on the list from time to
time, but I don't think it's ever gone anywhere. Still, good luck!