BUG() in buffer.c:1312!

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 05:27:04 EST

Somehow I'm getting these rather frequently, debugging is rather
difficult because it's a remote system and the OOPS is both hard to
catch and rarely logged. After ~two weeks of this, I was lucky to catch
the reason why the machine was spontaneously rebooting (thank goodness
for panic setting in /proc).

Several months ago, I was getting this bug frequently and I put a new
kernel on it and it went away. It's back with my recent kernel :(

Tonight was the first time syslog() managed to get a snippet of the bug:

     Jun 11 02:45:07 james kernel: kernel BUG at buffer.c:1312!
     Jun 11 02:45:07 james kernel: invalid operand: 0000
     Jun 11 02:45:07 james kernel: CPU: 0

     -------------------------------------

     static struct buffer_head *discard_buffer(struct buffer_head *
     bh)
     {
     [...]
        spin_lock(&unused_list_lock);

        if (!atomic_dec_and_test(&bh->b_count))
           BUG();

        __hash_unlink(bh);

That's it in it's entirety. I'm setting up a machine next to it with a
serial link to try and grab the rest of it. It's currently on test1-ac8

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was