Re: (reiserfs) Re: dedicated logging devices

From: David Gould (davidg@dnai.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 00:53:10 EST

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 12:44:19PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 12:45:51PM +0200, Xuan Baldauf wrote:
> >
> > Is it reasonable to use the 50 bytes of /dev/nvram for logging or is it just
> > too small?
>
> Far, far, far, far, far too small. You need tens of kB minimum to record
> a single filesystem transaction for a complex operation such as a file
> delete.

Interesting. Or even surprising. I suppose I could just go read the code,
but for instant gratification of my curiousity, I will ask here first.

What exactly is being logged for a file deletion that takes so much space?

Is this for the general case, or only for files with a lot of indirect
blocks?

Thanks

-dg

--