Big D/L Speed Improvement

Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 19:39:18 EST

I've been testing Linux 2.3.x download speed against Solaris 2.8.
With my setup I've been getting 3.5 KBytes/second downloading with a 56K
modem from a Linux server running 2.3.99p8. With same setup and same modem
on Sparc 20 running Solaris 2.8 I've been seeing 5.0 KBytes/second.

When I tested 2.4.0t1 ac12 I saw a big improvement, the average d/l
speed jumped to 4.5 Kbytes per second. Whereas ac10 and before had
been averaging 3.2 - 3.5 Kbytes per second.

I suspect this might be due to David Millers networking patch merge.
But who ever was responsible I can only say well done!

I'm a small ISP, I've been running Linux since '92. I've started
testing d/l speed because I see my mission is to deliver data
to my customers as fast as their modems will possibly allow.
I'm well pleased to see Linux being able to help meet this goal.

Cheers. Paul