Lost packet after automatic isdn dial.

From: Xuan Baldauf (xuan--lkml@baldauf.org)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 18:05:45 EST

Hello:

one feature of the linux-kernel isdn subsystem is to simulate a
permanent ethernet device. If you define it as "auto dial", give it a
fake IP address and set the default route on it, it will dial as soon
as somebody on the local network wants to talk to the internet. That
feature is fine, but: The packet which was initiating the connection
gets lost, therefore I have to wait to a retransmit, which varies by
the packet type and results in bad "interactive" performance when
simply typing a URL When dialing-up, I get a dynamic IP address
assigned via PPP over HDLC over ISDN. Why doesn't the kernel rewrite
the packed which initiated the connection to the new source address
(if the old source address is the old fake IP address the interface
had) and send it out?

Yes, it takes some time to get the new IP address assigned, and it may
happen that the connection even fails, but this is not a reason to
drop valuable packets. Some days ago, I was at a friend, he uses
Windows98 and there you have no packet loss. (When he types a URL,
he's asked to connect, and if he agrees, the web site is displayed
immediately after dial-up, which takes about one second with ISDN).

Xuân. :o)