Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 06:26:10 EST

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:11:52PM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:

> ReiserFS got some funding because the ext2 crowd didn't care to give the LVM
> author the time of day because he was in a rival faction,

Absolute nonsense. Hans, as long as you keep slinging personal insults
and accusations like this around, you just piss people off and cause
even more cooperation problems between different filesystem developers.

For the record, Hans, I don't have enough time to do all I want to with
ext2 and ext3, never mind LVM and reiserfs. Never mind the raw I/O,
fast server API, large memory, performance profiling or swapping work
that I'm involved with. I wish it were otherwise, but there you go.

Yet you insist that every time somebody else fails to provide you with
nice new functionality that you want, it's a conspiracy. Why? Do you
have *any* evidence for this?

I've talked with Chris Mason about getting VM infrastructure in place
for journaling filesystems. I've asked Heinz to think about integrating
LVM with soft raid so that users can have the advantages of autodetect
of LVM partitions and a single API for mirrored LVM. Neither have come
to pass, because nobody has had the time to actually do the work yet.
Is this evidence that the LVM/ReiserFS cabal are deliberately conspiring
to ruin the Red Hat-funded ext3 and soft raid work? By your arguments,
yes, it is. By any rational analysis of the situation, no, it is not.

If you really want a conspiracy theory, you'd better accuse VA Linux
of being part of the enemy cabal too, because --- guess what --- Ted Ts'o,
the other ext2 maintainer right now and a VA employee, hasn't had time
to do ext2 resizing either.

Hans, *PLEASE* stop these unjustified accusations. If you point out
places where cooperation has been lacking, in a calm and objective
manner, then everybody benefits because we can look towards fixing any
communications problems which exist. If you go beyond that and accuse
people of deliberately conspiring to obstruct cooperation, you simply
become such an obstruction yourself, and nobody gains.

> I regret that the truth is more complex and more shaded in dappled greys than
> many would care for.

Yes, so please let's not try to make it any more gray than it already is.

Cheers,
 Stephen