Present Evidence Or Lay Off Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Chip Salzenberg (chip@valinux.com)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 00:07:18 EST

According to Hans Reiser:
> Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > Hans Reiser:
> > > [...] the distributions are engaged in a bitter and contentious
> > > battle for control, they spend large amounts of money out of fear
> > > that some code space will fall under control of the other, and their
> > > objective in obtaining control is to influence who is cooperated
> > > with and who is frustrated.
> >
> > This reads like a paranoid delusion.
>
> ReiserFS got some funding because the ext2 crowd didn't care to give
> the LVM author the time of day because he was in a rival faction [...]

It still reads like a paranoid delusion -- not that it is one,
necessarily, but because you're not substantiating your statements
but, rather, assuming your conclusions. For example: Who are "the
ext2 crowd"? Who are the "rival faction"? What evidence would you
present us so that we might believe that there is such an "ext2 crowd"
or "rival faction" and that they have non-technical differences?

Most importantly: Where do you get off claiming that Red Hat is behind
any of this alleged rivalry? Do you have any evidence that Red Hat,
specifically, is the cause of your (perceived) troubles? Well, do you?

There is no need to assume that corporations are the prime, or even
contributing, cause for any given squabble. I am intimately involved
in the development of another open source project (Perl). And I can
assure you that, to the extent there is playing of politics and petty
jealousy in that open source project, it is practically _never_ along
what could be called "company lines".

As Henry Kissinger once wrote: "Academic politics are so vicious
precisely *because* the stakes are so low."

So I repeat: Do you have any evidence that Red Hat, Inc. is at fault
in _Linus's_ not having yet adopted ReiserFS, or LVM, or any other FS
project with which you have been involved?

If so, put up your evidence for us all to see, and believe, and adjust
our world views accordingly. It's not like you've got anything to hide.

If not... Lay off! Unsubstantiated criticism is just gossip of the
worst kind. (We have enough trouble in the open source world without
bitter rumormongering.)

--
Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>