Re: corruption on power loss with 3ware RAID card

From: Joel Jacobson (jjacobson@3WARE.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 13:40:40 EST

There was a post on this list last week describing how the 3ware RAID card
incorrectly handles a crash. since then, we've had a couple other people
ask us what the scoop is, so I'm replying "to the source..."

As I believe was explained in the message (don't have it handy), this only
happens when power is lost after a write has been completed to one half of a
mirror but not the other. While the likelihood of this is fairly small,
it's certainly possible.

I fixed the driver portion of this a little while ago (this required a
firmware fix as well), and it will be included in the release due out in
mid-July (as well as on all new 6000 series cards, which are scheduled to be
released then). The updated driver/firmware will also be downloadable from
the 3ware website when it is released.

[Note: the delay is due to testing required for other bug fixes and new
features also included in those releases.]

- j