Re: dedicated logging devices

From: Chris Meadors (clubneon@hereintown.net)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 13:10:34 EST

Yeah, at least on the RAID equipment I use basicly has some sort of
standard RAM (SIMM/DIMM) that it uses for caching. There is an option to
connect a battery to the controller. If the power fails while there is
unwritten data in the cache it can be flushed to disk when the power
returns.

Using EEPROM memory as a logging device wouldn't be a good idea. These
devices tend to have a limited number of rewrites and will begin to
introduce bit errors as they wear out.

Question: On a journaling file system do you want unwritten journal data
written to disk after power is restored?

I guess if the OS thinks it has hit the physical disk then it would be
fine to commit it. So what if you didn't have a battery backed cache, and
data the OS thought was on disk didn't make it?

Should a journaled FS always have uncorrupt data in the files no matter
what state the various caches are in?

(I'm just trying to get my mind wrapped around this stuff, it is kinda new
to me.)

--
...and sometimes, late at night I get these twitches.  Like dead people get.
(Or, as I prefer to call them, perfect computer users)