new legacy Yamaha PCI module in 2.2.16 kernel won't link??

From: James D. Freels (freelsjd@ornl.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 09:54:04 EST

I have recently upgraded my kernel to the new stable version 2.2.16.
I noticed the new kernel has new support for "legacy Yamaha PCI sound",
so I thought I would give it a try. There is very little documentation
(only the comments in the driver code).

I enable the driver in the configuration, and disabled my sound
blaster support. I have a flacky SB16pro card and an on-board Yamaha
740 chip in the Intel 440bx mother board. So the goal is to switch to
the onboard chip without having to purchase the OSS drivers outside
the open source of the kernel.

When I try an build the kernel, all goes well until the end when an
undefined reference is found with the error message below. The
ymf_sb.c modules compiles fine and is loaded in the sound.a library.
So why won't it link?

drivers/sound/sound.a(sound_core.o): In function `soundcore_init':
sound_core.o(.text+0x3e5): undefined reference to `init_ymf7xxsb_module'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1