RE: [patch-2.4.0-test1-ac11] small update to microcode driver.

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 08:47:31 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> > Now that we have access to MSRs from userspace, is there any reason
> > this could not be done better there ?
> >

> yes, there is - the lack of ability to bind a userspace process to a CPU
> is the main reason why I implemented it differently from the other
> "classical" implementations.

heh, I just noticed that Linux msr driver is actually more clever than
what I called "classical" msr driver (I shouldn't say that - my friend and
colleague actually wrote the one for UnixWare7!), i.e. in Linux you don't
need to bind to a CPU since /dev/cpu/msr? is actually an array of one
minor per CPU.

So, yes, I agree - you can rewrite this whole thing entirely in userspace.

Regards,
Tigran