Re: Floppy handling

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 07:28:39 EST

In <3940B218.CEEADC9F@transmeta.com> H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com) wrote:
> Erik Andersen wrote:
>>
>> On Thu Jun 08, 2000 at 11:25:51PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> >
>> > Now, CD-ROMs, IDE floppies, etc tend to be motorized and lockable. I
>> > believe Microsoft has been pushing for an extension to the IDE
>> > standard which will support media insert notification and
>> > button-push-while-locked ("umount me now") notification. If that is
>> > correct those would be easy to support.
>>
>> For cdroms, I tested the support available for this last fall. While the Mt.
>> Fuji spec says you can do this, very few drives actually support Media Request
>> Events and External Request Events, plus (the bad news) since no cdrom drive
>> ever made supports asyncronous GET EVENT/STATUS NOTIFICATION commands, you have
>> to actively poll the drive to make it work. Ugh. Fortunately, if somebody
>> wants this type of thing, they can code it up in user space using the
>> CDROM_SEND_PACKET ioctl.
>>

> Polling isn't so bad, however, it really bothers me that this is
> CDROM-specific. We need a way to send packets to any device.

> Second, does that give you indication of the user pressing the eject
> button?

At least SOME devices doing it. When I press eject button on my ZIP drive and
some file on it is locked I see message "You are trying to eject disk while
it's in use. Ok, Cancel ?" (translation from Russian) in Windows98 and disk
is NOT ejected on that stage. So for some devices it's possible. It's done
with some proprietary extension I guess, though.