Re: Linux 2.5 TODO on the web

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 01:15:09 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > "binaries" have a HTTP-Referrer tag from a page on which they displayed
> > > their ads, i.e., a regular HTML page. If you have a browser that
> > > does not properly submit HTTP-Referrer's, FreeServers will gawk.
> > > Last I checked many versions of Mozilla have this problem. w3m and
> > > lynx at least do not.
> >
> > Thanks for explanation, you can add links to your list of "broken"
> > browsers :(
>
> It isnt a 'broken' browser. Its a correctly implemented browser. Referrer is
> an unacceptably flawed privacy problem. Good tools do not send referrer
> entries.

Mozilla dropped this entry from their request headers for a while, until
they discovered that broke too many WWW sites, when they had to put it
back in. (According to one of the developers, they had been trying to make
requests as small (=> fast) as possible, but been a little overzealous.)

One of the privacy settings available in Squid is to strip out these
header fields. They do make special mention of User-Agent, since enough
sites modify the results based on which browser you are using, but last
time I looked, Referer wasn't mentioned.

Maybe if enough people report this to FreeServers as being a problem,
they'll fix it?

James.