Re: New kernels SCSI bus reset problem - scsi_obsolete.c

From: Graydon (angantyr@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:07:24 EST

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 10:08:08PM -0700, Stephen J. Gowdy scripsit:
> Jason Saunders wrote:
> > scsi : aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi 0, channel 0, id 0,
> > lun 0, inquiry 00 00 00 FF 00
> > SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> > SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
> > SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder
> > SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
> > SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> > SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
> > [the last two messages repeat infinitely]
> >
> > Any ideas what's going on?
>
> This looks like the same problem that the aic7xxx driver has. There is
> patch in this mailing list I got from the linux-scsi mailing list for
> it. I gather that this patch isn't a fix but a workaround.

I'm having something like this problem under 2.3.51 and had it using
2.3.99-pre6 as well with the ide-to-scsi emulation.

Curiously enough, I _didn't_ have it at home, only at work; home is a
K6-200 of no particular pedigree, work is a Dell OptiPlex GX110. The
thing which occurs to me is that something is going flakely with the
ATA66 bus in the Dell, but I have no clue what to check.

The most recent actual error message was:

scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id
1, lun 0 0x42 02 40 00 00 00 00 00 30 00
hdd: lost interrupt
ide-scsi: CoD != 0 in idescsi_pc_intr
hdd: ATAPI reset complete
hdd: irq timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }

--
Graydon Saunders | Nine Tarn Bourne Ministry of Tourism and Recreation
angantyr@        | Offices in Braemor, As-hkes, Landhaven, and Wirthane