Re: via-rhine: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 14:12:31 EST

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Marco Colombo wrote:

> > 001a is: transmit buffer underflow, packet transmission aborted because of
> > excessive collision, packet transmitted with no errors.
> > or IntrTxDone | IntrTxAbort | IntrTxUnderrun.
> >
> > With debug > 1 you should get "Transmitter underrun" messages too. Do you?
>
> Yes, but very few of them. They seem to be unrelated.

You should get as many as you get 001a's (anything 0x0010). If you look at
via_rhine_error it does:
        if (intr_status & IntrTxUnderrun) {
and later it prints the "Something wicked" message. But maybe it's not
always 001a that is the error interrupt status? That would explain it.

> Yes, the card recovers (I'll try your patch, just let me complete tests
> with the GA-7IXE). But it's almost useless. If I keep doing the "color
> picker trick", it stops for 4-5 seconds (tcpdump shows that the card

CmdReset shouldn't be any better, CmdStop is probably just fine. It's the
same idea and probably a waste of time, unless you don't have any
better things to test.

> on the K7V:
> - it happens while the X server is running on Linux/Sparc, with 10Mbps eth;
> - it happens while the X server is running on Linux/i386, with 100Mbps eth
> (the other card is a DFE530TX, the switch is a D-Link 10/100);
> - it does NOT happen while the X server is running on Solaris/Sparc,
> with 10Mbps eth;

eh ... ?

> I remember it was a failure). So it can't be (only) a driver bug, i think.

I hope, a hardware bug is an easy explanation. The problem is how to show
its only hw (but you seem to be working hard on it :).

> On the K7V, I've also played a little with setpci:
>
> With lspci I saw:
> # lspci -d 1106:3043 -vv | grep Latency
> Latency: 118 min, 152 max, 64 set, cache line size 08

Same here.

/Urban