Re: linux kernel option bus dependencies - pointers?

From: Kenneth C. Arnold (kcarnold@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 19:16:22 EST

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 11:26:49AM -0400, William Stearns wrote:
> Good morning, all,
> I'd like to start in identifying what busses a particular kernel
> option might show up under - i.e. EEPRO100 could be PCI, but never ISA,
> MCA, USB, SBUS, etc., NE2000 could be ISA, PCI... This would allow the
> kernel configuration process to completely avoid any devices that could
> not possibly be connected to this machine.

This can't be too restrictive, or we get into messes when a vendor releases
a new product on a different bus based on the same chipset. Putting it in
the config dependancies is probably ok, but try not to depend on the bus in
the driver as much as possible just because it is only available for that bus.

On the other hand, it looks like Eric has already put some of this stuff
into CML2. Check out the following lines, for example:

unless MCA suppress ELMC ELMC_II ULTRAMCA SKMC NE2_MCA
unless ISA suppress NET_ISA eth_isa_drivers ISA3C515
unless PCI suppress NET_PCI eth_pci_drivers
unless PCI suppress dependent TULIP EEPRO100 NE2K_PCI

Maybe expand these to include all the possibilities?

Kenneth