compaq ML350 (eepro100) woes w/stable kernel

From: Jon Mitchell (jrm@freedom.swc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 07:51:40 EST

Compaq has replaced their Proliant numbering scheme when the released
this next series of boxs. Although this box is supposed to be the
replacement to the Compaq Proliant 800, it's design is actually very
different. It has a single card that contains the eepro100 chipset, the
video subsystem and also a LVD SCSI channel. We've added their Smart
Array controller to the box as well.

Anyways, here's the problems I had with RedHat 6.2 running on this box.
After the initial install which was done from CDROM, the ethernet card
(eepro100) did not initialize correctly (yes the modules were setup
correctly) when using the default redhat kernel. Most of the time when
it got to the initializing card step, the box hard locked. Some of the
times it would start claiming "No RX resources" during it's locked state,
but most of the time it would not produce any further output.

So, I upgraded to the 2.2.16pre7. Although this kernel performed far
better (it booted and appeared to work), occasionally when doing a
shutdown -r now, it will still lock at the Initializing eth0 step when
it comes back up. I should also mention that I compiled all commonly
used things, including the eepro100, into the kernel.

This computer is already in production so I can't do extensive testing,
but I have another one I can play with come monday if there is anything
people would like me to try.

--
Jon Mitchell
Systems Engineer, Subject Wills & Company