Re: ULTRA ATA/100 announced

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 07:29:27 EST

* James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk) [000608 11:58]:
> > Since when does UDMA/66 provide FOUR devices per channel?
>
> It doesn't. You get an UDMA/33 controller (= two channels) and a UDMA/66
> controller (=another two channels). Total four channels, eight drives.

So it's two controllers for eight drives, better use only four of them.

> > (OTOH, where do I buy IDE SLR tape drives ;-)
>
> SLR = self loading rifle. You want to shoot your backup tapes?! :-)

SLR = scalable linear recording. Just depends on your point of view :-)

Very robust in my experience and really cheap to buy used, getting e.
g. 100% working SLR 2 drives (525 MB) for less than $10 is feasible.

> Seriously: ISTR there are IDE/ATAPI tape drives out there. You just need
> to look...

Yup. The last time I looked, I found some Seagate Travan drives that
lacked the "NS" features such as verify-while-write. Not really useful
for backup.