Re: Latest Kernel -- crash, crash, and crashes again

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 17:33:14 EST

> Nasa wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been following the latest kernels for a little while and have
> noticed a real problem. Linux will crash (lock-up) for no apparent
> reason. It doesn't follow a certain pattern. It could lock up a few
> minutes after startup or a few hours. It may lockup after starting a
> program (like xmms or mtv) or it may not. The only thing I can say
> for sure it that it happens with X running. I would really like to
> help out Linux developemnt -- but I don't know how to find out what
> could be causing these lockups. So any hints on how I could do that
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> My system is :
>
> Athlon 500 on an MSI motherboard
> 2 Harddrives (WD 9.1 and IBM 10.1)
> CD-RW (philips 2x2x6)
> SCSI DVD drive (10x)
> Soudblaster live! Soundcard (using the opensource drivers)
> CreativeLabs Annilihator video card (NVidia chipset with 32megs -
> running the latest NVidia drivers on XFree86 4.0)
> PixelView TV Card
> SCSI Card
> Network Card (ne2000 comp)

Good hardware list but we need much more info, including kernel version
and what drivers you are using. Saying "SCSI card" doesn't tell us
much.

Read linux/REPORTING-BUGS in the kernel source tree...

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.