Re: journaling & VM

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:52:10 EST

Let me convey an aspect of its rightness.

Caches have a declining marginal utility. It is a good idea to keep at least a
little bit of each cache around. The classic problem is when you switch usage
patterns back and forth, and one of the caches has been completely flushed by,
say, a large file read. If just 3% of the amount of cache remained from when it
was being used that 3% might give you a lot of speedup when the usage pattern
flipped back.

Hans