Re: [LINUX-ABIT] Re: ABIT -- GENTUS Linux Steals GPL CODE AGAIN!!

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:57:09 EST

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Drew Bertola wrote:

> Rahul Sinha writes:
> > On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

No I didn't....

> > this is not the case; so long as sources are available electronically or
> > upon request (for free) you are complying with the GPL
>
> "for free" is not a requirement. A reasonable fee to cover
> distribution costs is acceptable. .

For free would suffice, however. The problem, though, is the requirement
for ME to distribute the source - even if it is unchanged from the copy on
ftp.*.kernel.org, *I* must provide it myself. Distributing the binaries is
a lot less resource intensive (i.e. expensive) than the source. I can fit
a bootable kernel image on a single floppy quite easily; try that with the
kernel source.

James.