Latest Kernel -- crash, crash, and crashes again

From: Nasa (nasa000@home.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 15:24:58 EST

Hi,

I have been following the latest kernels for a little while and have noticed a real problem. Linux will crash (lock-up) for no apparent reason. It doesn't follow a certain pattern. It could lock up a few minutes after startup or a few hours. It may lockup after starting a program (like xmms or mtv) or it may not. The only thing I can say for sure it that it happens with X running. I would really like to help out Linux developemnt -- but I don't know how to find out what could be causing these lockups. So any hints on how I could do that would be greatly appreciated.

My system is :

Athlon 500 on an MSI motherboard
2 Harddrives (WD 9.1 and IBM 10.1)
CD-RW (philips 2x2x6)
SCSI DVD drive (10x)
Soudblaster live! Soundcard (using the opensource drivers)
CreativeLabs Annilihator video card (NVidia chipset with 32megs - running the latest NVidia drivers on XFree86 4.0)
PixelView TV Card
SCSI Card
Network Card (ne2000 comp)

BTW: I dual boot with Win98 and I don't see these kind of problems at all with Windows -- which would remove heat and hardware as potential problems.

Thanks

Nasa