Re: capabilities PATCH

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 13:14:06 EST

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> No, it isn't a bug in zgv, but you are using it outside of the designed
> constraints that zgv was programmed for. That calls for some changes in
> the application, not changes to the kernel.

I never read the POSIX standard, so I'll refrain from commenting on
capabilities, setuid, and all that, but this thread seems to discuss
svgalib applications, so I'll say that svgalib is actually being fixed.

As of svgalib-2.0 (not yet released, but alpha version is available),
svgalib includes a kernel module that provides a char device for each
video card in the system, which lets a user access the memory an IO that
the card uses. This means that svgalib programs need not run as root,
but simply as a user that has rw access to some device file.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         matan@svgalib.org