glibc-2.1.3 vs. linux-2.4.0-test1ac7

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 12:46:34 EST

        Garteth Hughes's "Pentium III FXSR, SSE support" that was
added to linux-2.4.0-test1ac8/include/asm-i386/sigcontext.h causes
glibc to fail to compile.

        The glibc code that it breaks is lines 142 through 205 of
glibc-2.1.3/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/register-dump.h,
which is come code in the register_dump debugging routine that
attempts to print the floating point state. dump_registers is called
by catch_segfault in glic-2.1.3/sysdeps/generic/segfault.c, which
is called only when this facility is enabled and the program gets a
segmentation fault.

        I have temporarily commented out the lines that do not
compile, since I think we do not currently use this facility, but
a better fix should be possible, at least through some glibc
configure.in test and some #ifdefs, since there is already support in
the modified sigcontext structure for determining which format of
fp data is being used (although putting "magic" after the union
instead of before it will limit future extensibility, although
perhaps that was necessary for current downward binary compatability).

        What I would like to know is how fixed is the new
struct _fpstate, and how certain is it that these changes are going
into the stock linux kernel when Linus gets back from vacaction.
If this is basically the new official format of struct _fpstate,
I would be willing to write a fix for glibc if nobody else wants to.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."