Re: ULTRA ATA/100 announced

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 07:33:08 EST

* James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk) [000607 14:16]:
> Even if you find a very cheap SCSI adapter - cheaper than a motherboard -
> then you still have one problem: Where does the CPU go? With IDE, the
> money bought a motherboard, INCLUDING the adapter. With SCSI, the same
> money will struggle to buy you just the adapter - without a motherboard.

A good SCSI or USCSI board starts at DM 60...120 (depends on if you
need BIOS or Ultra), U2W is around DM 300. U2W is admittedly roughly
the amount of an average 500...600 MHz PC CPU.

> The actual cost to me of an IDE adapter is zero: it comes with the board.
> The cost of a SCSI adapter, OTOH, is non-trivial. Even a very cheap one
> will double the motherboard+adapter cost - and I haven't seen any that
> cheap lately.

See if you can get prices of Tekram adaptors. They come with a
five-year warranty and are good, yet not expensive. OTOH, if you want
more that two drives with IDE (you can use four, at the expense of
speed), you're getting into trouble and need to buy either another IDE
interface or a SCSI interface. So there. I'd appreciate if they
soldered a SYM53C860 on every main board, though. Just as with IDE: a
cheap and good-for-the-average-Joe-Sixpack thing. CD-ROMs used with
SCSI would get people rid of a lot of fuzz with drivers.