Re: [LINUX-ABIT] Re: ABIT -- GENTUS Linux Steals GPL CODE AGAIN!!

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 05:23:51 EST

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> James Sutherland wrote:
> > ISTR the GPL isn't quite that restrictive: I could take the kernel source
> > and build, say, a 2.4.0test1 bootdisk, and distribute that, without
> > needing to distribute the source myself - the 2.4.0test1 source is already
> > available anyway.
>
> No. Anybody who gets the bootdisk from you has the right to ask you
> for the sources. Saying "they're available on my ftp-site for
> download" is condidered sufficient retort to the question nowadays.
>
> Saying "they're available on ftp.kernel.org for download" is a bit
> tricky: This answer becomes invalid if ftp.kernel.org drops dead or
> removes the old kernel. Granting your users access to the sources is
> your problem, and you can be held responsible for their availability.

If the kernel I'm using drops off the face of the earth, but I continue
distributing it, I need to provide the sources myself; providing a
(working!) URL to the source I used should be adequate, though? If the URL
I'm using disappears, I need to find/create another one, of course, but
that shouldn't happen...

James.