Re: journaling & VM (was: Re: reiserfs being part of the kernel: it'snot just the code)

From: Quintela Carreira Juan J. (quintela@fi.udc.es)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 20:46:45 EST

>>>>> "hans" == Hans Reiser <hans@reiser.to> writes:

Hi

hans> quite happy to see you drive it, I suggest to check with zam as he has some code
hans> in progress.

hans> There are two issues to address:

hans> 1) If a buffer needs to be flushed to disk, how do we let the FS flush
hans> everything else that it is optimal to flush at the same time as that buffer.
hans> zam's allocate on flush code addresses that issue for reiserfs, and he has some
hans> general hooks implemented also. He is guessed to be two weeks away.

Ok, register a cache function and it will receive the _priority_ (also
know as _how hard_ should try to free memory). Once that memory is
freed put that pages in the LRU list. Not need to have them there
before because there is no way that shrink_mmap would be able to free
them anyway.

This is the reason because of what I think that one operation in the
address space makes no sense. No sense because it can't be called
from the page.

hans> 2) If multiple kernel subsystem page pinners pin memory, how do we keep them
hans> from deadlocking. Chris as you know is the reiserfs guy for that.

I think that Riel is also working in that just now. I think that is
better to find one API that is good for everybody.

I would also like to see some common API for this kind of allocation
of memory.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy