Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 13:16:39 EST

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 12:50:37PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I would have used a global hook (register_memory_pressure_handler())
> > > Hmm, ok a super block vector would do too, but the global hook would
> > > be probably useful for other things too (e.g. networking could use it for
> > > its skb caches). Block device interface has nothing to do with the VFS
> > > imho (you may be using a different definition of VFS than me tho)
> >
> > A notifier chain seems the obvious thing to use for it then ?
>
> An address_space operations method seems the most obvious way. As
> long as the pages concerned are in the page cache, the address_space
> ops can be called in shrink_mmap as a hint that the filesystem needs
> to start doing something to reclaim space.

At a higher layer, a notifier chain for exerting memory pressure on
subsystems probably makes sense still. If you build in weights (how
crucial do we think this cache is?) and statistics (how successful was the
last pass, how recently have we tried?), this lets us move memory
management policies out of code and into data structures where they're
much easier to maintain.