Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 11:17:33 EST

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 01:35:57PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it is possible to have a dedicated log device, although it is not
> > currently used.
>
> Right --- the API was designed for that from scratch, but it's not
> implemented right now. That's almost certainly a post-1.0 feature,
> especially as you really want to be able to have multiple filesystems
> sharing that dedicated journal disk (probably using raid1 on the
> journal).

The dedicated log device is really important, and I do have bytes reserved
to make both that and the multiple filesystems to a single journal work.

Once the dedicated log device is coded, I would rather see the shared
journal disk idea done through LVM than in the journal code. LVM already
has all the tools to find the hot spots on the disk, allowing the admin to
move the i/o hogs to different disks. Mostly, I would prefer not to deal
with the added complexity in the FS code unless people can find a huge
list of reasons it would be better than using lvm.

The same goes for striping the log over multiple disks, where
hardware/software raid would also work.

-chris