Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 10:07:55 EST

Chris Mason writes:
> We need two things:
>
> 1) a way to reserve and release a pinned page count. This will allow a
> pinned page high watermark so the journaled filesystems can plan nice
> without pinning all the ram.
>
> 2) A memory pressure call back in the address space operations. This
> really does seem more flexible than a call in struct super_operations.

We have needed this for our page-cache based filesystem development as
well. Both the memory pressure callback and the cache size are hacked
into one of our development filesystems at this point, and it is possible
to force OOM on the system. Having a callback is the only way to "play
nice" with cached pages.

I think NWFS has the same need as well...

Cheers, Andreas