Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 07:57:21 EST

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 09:48:40AM +0100, James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> That wasn't my interpretation of it...
>
> * ReiserFS is still a moving target, unlike NWFS, HPFS etc.

There is no clear definition of "moving target". This is part of the
problem, and, I think, not a small problem.

> * The kernel is in a code freeze. No new "features" (like ReiserFS), some
> new drivers for existings systems (including NWFS, HPFS etc.) if needed.

This is also very vague. 2.4 has been in "code freeze" for a long time
now, but many new "features" have been added. It is not at all clear to me
what a "new feature" is defined.

> * ReiserFS contains code which duplicates the kernel's own journalling
> support (WIP).

Reiserfs has journaling code and ext2 has journaling code. The kernel does
not have journaling code. Hans thinks that he is pressed into waiting for
the kernel journaling code done mostly be other people, when reiserfs'
code is already better in many cases.

Although Alan claims that there is no problem whatsoever, it is "obvious"
to many people that strange things are going on, and I think Alan could
care more instead of keeping more or less quiet on reasons, while claiming
they are honest.

The only way out of this situation, it seems, would be to be more open on
both sides, and in both directions (giving reasons and deliberately trying
to not interpret the other side wrong).

All the reasons I read so far on why reisers should keep out of the kernel
were very vague, and it is also not clear to me wether the architecture of
reiserfs requires too many ugly changes to the kernel.

However, in the past (and with other "features"), the main kernel
developers (read as "the ones with influence") were much more liberal to
additions, and I definitely do not understand why reiserfs code has to
accomodate a much higher quality level than other code.

Maybe it's time to educate me on why I am wrong ;)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|