Re: ULTRA ATA/100 announced

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 07:05:28 EST

Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net>:
> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Stephen Torri wrote:
> > > If we get ATA/100 then why buy SCSI?
> > There are reasons. There always have been, I doubt that will
> > change.
>
> Those reasons are slowly disappearing however...

They have disappeared as long as you don't need to attach more than two
devices per controller....

I already have 4 on one controller (two SCSI 2 disks + tape + CDwriter)
and another two on a second controller (two SCSI 3 disks).

On an IDE I'm limited to two devices per controller - so I would be
missing 2 devices, and have to add another controller, with another
set of addresses, IO space, and IRQ resources consumed out of a limited
set....