Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: willy tarreau (wtarreau@yahoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 01:57:22 EST

Hi Hans,

--- Hans Reiser <hans@reiser.to> wrote :
> Willy, are you comfortable with our asking you to
> not use the -conv option to
> convert the old format to the new format until 2.4
> is known stable for you or
> 3.6 is backported, whichever is first?

Sorry, but I don't understand very well what you mean.
At the moment, I don't use the conv option since I'm
using 3.5.19. When switching to 3.6, what will it
bring
to me not to use the conv option ? the ability to go
back to 3.5 ? That doesn't matter for me. I'm
confident, and if you release a 3.6 for kernel 2.2,
I'll use it and won't try to go back to 3.5 because
I'm
nearly sure that it will work, and if not I know that
like other times, you'll give me a fix very quickly,
so why should I worry ?

I think that sometimes we have to agree to upgrade a
filesystem, knowing it won't be possible to go back.
This is how EXTFS replaced MINIX, and EXT2FS replaced
EXTFS. Now it's time for REISERFS to replace EXT2 for
those who agree to do so.

Willy

--
Linux is good for you !