Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelayingreiserfs integration)

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 22:17:43 EST

Chris Mason wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:
> >
> > You did a better job, just look at the benchmarks.
> >
> > Yura Rupasov, please send us a complete set of fresh benchmarks of ext3 vs.
> > reiserfs if you aren't doing anything more urgent.
> >

> Hans, you do realize that you are trying to compare the journal layer of
> two different filesystems. Where one filesystem is known to have very
> different performance than the other. It is more than a little unfair,
> and not a very good use of anyone's time.
>
> Your obsession with benchmarks has been a very good thing for reiserfs ;-)
> but is not at all related to this dicussion. Alan says he wants a journal
> layer for all filesystems to use. A performance comparison between
> reiserfs and ext3 is not a part of that issue.

I disagree, performance is the primary, though not the only, measure of
journaling
code.

Alan wants us to wait for a committee that will sit around and build a giraffe.
I want him to stop
using FUD about format changes, and to go build his giraffe, and when it runs
faster than our horse
he can tell us about it then.

Meanwhile I am going to go build us a locomotive, and see if it is faster than
our horse.....

Hans