Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Bryan -TheBS- Smith (thebs@theseus.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 16:34:57 EST

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000, Bryan -TheBS- Smith wrote:
> Changes can come later, and I think everyone in the Linux
> development community, at least the kernel, has shown great
> respect for

Oops, forgot to finish this sentence <<TheBS smacks himself>> ...

... respect for keeping "feature creep" to a minimum, and key
changes off of the even releases.

As far as some of the other comments I've seen on this list,
largely regarding the changes in ReiserFS structure and the
filesystems' ability to change structures on the fly to new
revisions, I'm "assuming" (probably shouldn't) Linus is going to
be a little hesitant to that. Again, I'm saying this as a
sysadmin, and I'm definately not Linus (nor most of you'all with
1/10th the wisdom and foresight)! ;->>>

>From what I've seen with the proven, mature PCMCIA subsystem that
has finally been integrated in the 2.4 kernel, the behavior that
Linus has decided on in 2.4 differs from the behavior than I
believe the maintainer wants. Again, I'm not the author so this is
just what I see -- from what I can see, it looks like some of the
more autonomous negiotiations and configurations between the
chipset and cards are left out of 2.4, whereas the main, non-kernel
distro does more? I personally like the fact that Linus is
cautious to have the kernel do anything autonomously -- that design
viewpoint has saved my butt many times with new kernels. [ Again,
_big_assumptions_ from my viewpoint here, almost totally sysadmin
-- and I don't know the developer history, etc... -- so feel free
to _smack_me_ if I'm wrong ;->>> ]

_Anyway_My_Point_ (after the large tangent of assumptions ;-): As
such, PCMCIA is still in 2.4, and there is still a separate
download/patches from the maintainer that adds additional
functionality and features. In other words, leaving ReiserFS out
of the 2.4 kernel, or forcing it to adopt changes this late in the
game would be a big mistake IMHO. If anything, if it does
something that is "undesirable", maybe it can be removed from the
stock kernel and made into a patch. Maybe you have to iron down a
fixed Reiser structure for 2.4, but make that patch the one that
dynamically updates, etc...

Again, I'm definately ignorant here (I need to hit the source other
than just reading the header info and docs ;-). Take my words as
those from "the uninformed". But this is how my limited focus sees
it.

Thanx for putting up with me ... ;->>>

-- TheBS